Tuesday, July 12, 2011

SCS Colors and Christmas in July

Today's Splitcoast Color Challenge included two blues and a red, but the optional dessert option was to do a Christmas card.  This was good timing as I got it in my head just yesterday that our church card group would hold an extra session in August to focus on all of the upcoming holidays!

I am not 100% convinced that I like this card.  I like the CAS layout.  But I was going for a wintery look on the wreath with a bright, festive red bird - singing his heart out - and it just feels "off".  Perhaps I am just a very traditional red/green cardmaker unless snow or snowmen are involved??


The festive aspect of the card is better IRL when you can see the sparkle.


What do you think??

  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Berry Christmas, unknown sentiment
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Not Quite Navy, Baja Breeze
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Not Quite Navy, Baja Breeze, Cherry Cobbler
  • Accessories: Stampin' Up gems colored with copics, Frost White Shimmer Paint (from SU), SU bird die

9 comments:

  1. Oh, Kim, I think it is just perfect! I LOVE wintry blues on a holiday card, and you have nailed it with the pop of red. The punched corners add just the right amount of interest to the background, too. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, your card is gorgeous. Lovely wintry blues and the placement of the gems is spot on.
    Lynne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it really works! I like non-traditional colours at Christmas. You can see the shimmer and the gems are just the right touch! It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love the wreath Kim & the cute birdie is a perfect touch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, Kim! The colours are so pretty ... I think you are being a little hard on yourself. Sweet card. Love the shimmer and bling! Hugs xxaxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's awesome - I like the non-traditional colours and the sparkle. For the sake of playing around though what if you could emboss the white cardstock but only the part outside the wreath? Like with the Cuttlebug Swiss Dots folder so it looks like snow. Just a thought... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it...I thought it came out perfect. The red berries on the wreath balance out the red bird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty card Kim, I love the CAS design and the shimmery colours too :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your design, the crispness of the blues and the added bling. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!