Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sweet, Misty Glue

When Splitcoast Stampers announces their Tuesday Color Challenge they twine parts of the three color names together into a phrase that, 9 times out of 10, makes some sense!  So my title puts together the three parts of my post - and...clearly...I need to stick to cardmaking and stay away from word crafting!  (BTW: Marina Mist is one of the colors in the color challenge; I used the Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge; and I am going to spend a little time talking about my favorite glue.)


The color challenge this morning was Marina Mist, Certainly Celery and Rose Red with added "points" if you included a banner!!

I have multiple banner dies, but the reality is that banners are easy to make with square punches - just cut a strip of paper and use your punch upside down like this:


The words on the banner came about because of the first Papertrey Make It Monday Challenge from a few weeks ago that challenged you to add a cloud of words on your card.  At the time, I didn't think that I was interested but it came in handy today.  I was afraid a single line sentiment across the banner would look uncentered because of the flower on top and I thought a bigger sentiment to one side would make the banner look odd - so I just added words all over!!

Because I was hurrying this morning - I made a "mess" that made me realize how much I want to share one of my favorite products with you - - - ZIP DRY PAPER GLUE!


Why do I love it?

1. It is the only paper glue that doesn't wrinkle paper - not cardstock nor dsp!  I don't care what the others say on their labels - they wrinkle.  Although I have to point out that there is one MAJOR exception to the non-wrinkle factor of this glue - it does show through Stampin' Up's White and Vanilla.  Bummer.  Personally, I only use SU's paper for solid images - it's the best at creating nicely inked solid images!  Otherwise I use Neenah Classic Crest Smooth Coverstock - it's cheaper and it's great for copic coloring.

2. With glue, there is a period of time after you put the glued item down that you can move it around a little.  Tape sticks right away and if you are a little crooked, you have to pry it back up and try again.  Glue stays wet for a little bit so you can line things up perfectly!

3. A bottle lasts a long time.  A bottle runs anywhere from $5 - $7 but you can get 50-100 cards out of it!  And..around here all the big box craft stores carry it so you just wait for a sale and buy a bunch.  (A big sorry to all my friends - I was at Hobby Lobby when it opened yesterday and got everything they had!)  FYI for my local friends: Hobby Lobby keeps it in their scrapbook section.  Michaels and Joanns keeps it in their glue section. 

4. This stuff really sticks.  The cards are on our church card rack get a lot of abuse handling.  This glue keeps them all together - and that includes buttons and bows and other dimensional items.

5. But the number one reason - and the reason that I HAVE to rave about the glue this morning - is that any smears can be rubbed or pulled right off - kind of like rubber cements.  Look what I did to my poor flower.  It's oozing everywhere!


But...you just let it dry and it rubs right off.  It's so easy. Often I just rub it off with my thumb - although, take it from me, make sure your thumb doesn't have any ink stains on it before you rub.  Or you can rub with a white eraser.  In this case, I had a lot of dimension in my flower, so I grabbed a tweezer and pulled the glue off.



To avoid smears just apply a line of glue about a quarter inch in from the edge of your paper.  Then when you adhere it the glue will spread right up to the edge and not over the edge.



I have only found one flaw with this glue.  I know people who are allergic - they react even being in the room with someone using this glue.  So don't go out and buy in bulk until you are sure that you are fine with the smell!

  • Stamps: Papertrey Birthday Basics
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Marina Mist, Certainly Celery (on the leaf edges), Papertrey Fresh Snow (on the flower edges)
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Marina Mist, Rose Red Certainly Celery cs and dsp
  • Accessories: McGill Embossed Button Punch, SU Fun Flowers Bigz die, Cuttlebug leaf die, Nestabilities scalloped circle, misc square punch, misc white brads
  • Challenges: Splitcoast Color Challenge and the Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge

2 comments:

  1. Your card is beautiful! I love the DP as the center of the flower. I'm glad I read this post because I was just wondering yesterday if there was an ideal liquid glue out there that would make my cards stick together for a very long time!! THANKS! I'll have to give yours a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is yumm!! I love the way you sponged the edges of the flower and they pop! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!