Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Freshly Made Sketches: My Life

It's time for a new sketch at Freshly Made Sketches! Today I created the sketch!!  It's exciting and nerve-wracking all at the same time.  I'm excited to see what you do with it, but I'm nervous you'll all hate it and we'll have a record low number of entries!!  (Yes, sadly I do judge my sketch by how many of you use it.)


As seems to have become a weekly refrain for me, my card went an entirely different direction than I had planned.  I'm quite seriously organized about my cardmaking because I'm having to learn to squeeze it in while I am employed full-time. (I was blessed to be able to stay home with my kids for about 15 years so I'm still learning the juggling act of work, family, faith and fun!)  In this case, I knew this sketch was coming up at the same time that I needed to make a birthday card for my mother-in-law.  I had envisioned a nice floral panel and with the sentiment highlighted by the strip, although I had wanted a multi-line sentiment with just part of it highlighted on the strip.

As I was looking for the right multi-lined sentiment, I came across PTI's Building Blocks set. Since the other big thing that's going on in my life is my oldest son heading off to college (seven days from today!), I am working on a collection of cards to be ready to send off when he's having good days and for bad days.  This sentiment called out to me for this purpose (although I do have a bit of a problem with the concept of "earning" best days.)  I switched gears and went totally masculine.

FMS Your Life

This one was a bit of a pain because each line of the sentiment is a separate stamp (the concept of the set is to put each line on a coordinating die-cut block) and I had to line them up.  I am a fairly new adopter of the MISTI and I could not have done it without it and its grid line on the lid to help me line it all up!

For the rainbow, I cut a strip of cardstock slightly wider than the border then used the mini sponger to add stripes of colors before adhering it behind the grid border.
I hope to see you playing along.  Be sure to head over to the FMS blog to check out the amazing variety of cards from the same sketch.

SUPPLY LIST

I used the Simon Says Grid Border which, I am surprised to say, appears to be retired.

11 comments:

  1. I love this card for your son! It has a great sentiment and will be a good one to have on hand for that first year of college. And don't fret about your sketch -- you always create great ones, including this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow a I love that grid die cut.....and I love the rainbow of colors peeking through! The MISTI is also my best friend when it comes to sentiments! Great card for your son! Wonderful sketch....it will be a great gallery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your terrific sketch Kim!! Your card is cool, very modern and graphic!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sketch is fabulous, Kim, and I had fun working with it. Your card is gorgeous - especially that rainbow strip. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all worry about our sketches but it always turns out ok in the end! I love how your card is a combo of CAS plus some clean and graphic all at the same time! The rainbow colors are a nice touch and I am 100% sure that your son will love getting cards like this in the mail from time to time. And they'll probably arrive at the perfect moment, when he needs them most!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great card Kim! I love that background you've created! The colours are so fun! Great sentiment! Thanks for a great sketch this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great sketch and fun combination of elements!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally judge my sketches the same way! Here is what I know. Your card is fabulous. The DT made amazing cards with the sketch. And the gallery...well, it already speaks for itself! Thanks for EXACTLY the sketch I needed this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. simply wonderful Kim! Love the colors peeking through the square windows! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful Kim! Those colours in the background just pop against the white!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!