Sunday, September 29, 2013

What Fall Means to Me!!

I realized this year that, even though I have about a thousand leaf stamps, I didn't have one that stamped leaves and then the veins.  So I went hunting for the perfect set (and it also had to have dies).  There are a number out there - but I went with My Favorite Thing's Thankful Leaves (I am so very thankful for fall.) There are three leaf shapes in the set - each is a perfect size as they can be tucked in behind as an accent or they can take center stage.

I did two very different looking cards with the set.  The first card uses the solid stamp image along with the veins and the die.  (I love the rich colors of fall.)


So Grateful

This card uses the sketch from Seize the Sketch.


The other reason that I wanted a set that had dies is to be able to cut leaves from patterned paper and then add the veins.  This is the same set as above. (The sentiment is not part of the set.)

Falling for You

This one is for CASology's Autumn challenge.



Did you notice the sequins on both cards?  They are a great mixed set from Neat & Tangled called Festive Fall.  If you like fall colors, this is a must-have!!  Something that I particularly like is the addition of a few clear and a few silver because it reminds me of the cool fall weather. (I love frosty fall mornings!!)

Fall has another meaning for me - one that sort of takes over our lives!!  It's marching band season!!  (I love marching band!)

013 ed

Both of my sons are marching this year!  Do you see the two marchers in the back - a baritone and a trumpet (the tall guy and short guy side by side) - they are mine!!  (I love my boys - most of the time!)

Chaparral High School Marching Band

I'm an old-time marching band geek.  And I have to admit that I don't always totally understand the new style!?  This is actually planned - hiding behind barrels, on the ground, it's fairly strange!!

Chaparral High School Marching Band

But they always come back to the classic, solid-sound, lined up marching band that I love!

Chaparral High School Marching Band

AND...they placed fourth in their class!!!  Last year, they didn't even make finals.  In fairness, there are smaller schools in a different class that actually got more points than they did so probably more like an 8th place finish.   But they were the most proud of the fact that of every school there, their music score was 3rd!!  They are feeling like they have a solid start on the marching season!

I love fall!!

25 comments:

  1. Great cards Kim! I am certainly having a love affair with sequins - I can't stop using them! I think every card I made yesterday had some on them. Congrats to your very talented sons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome fall inspired cards...great pics too!

    thanks for joining us at Seize the Sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim
    Congrats to your boys........well done.... They all look stunning....
    Fabulous card too
    Hugs Sylvie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this set too because of the veins. Lovely use of white space. Thanks for joining us at Seize the Sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both great cards, love the stripey leaf. Thank you so much for joining us this week at CASology

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your card, love fall, and also love marching bands. You can give me some John Phillip Sousa any day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - that band certainly looks impressive! Loving your striped leaf - clever way to incorporate all the colours! Thanks for joining us at CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous cards, Kim! and congrats to your boys and the band! so glad you could play along at Seize the Sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, I just found these sequins this week and here they are, appearing on your gorgeous cards, Kim ... I particularly love the DP leaf, it's so understated! Congratulations to your boys on their achievements! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just LOVE the stripes! so so much!. Beauty in the unexpected.

    Thanks so much for joining in the fun Autumn cue at CASology this weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I get the feeling you sort of like fall? :) I can see why! I adore both cards, and I especially love the striped leaf card...the sequins just add the perfect touch! Thanks for joining us at CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely a good choice of leaf sets! Both these cards are super yummy. I'm loving the sequins and harlequin background on the first one and the stripes on the second one. Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

    And your boys look so handsome in their uniforms! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very beautiful elements, and the cards are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are both just lovely! I really like the diamond background on your first card, and the pretty patterned leaf on the second card.

    Great photos of the band too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kim, that striped leaf has me smiling! What a creative way to bring in the fall colors! :) Love the way you've got it dangling from the twine too! Those sequins...you have just become an enabler. Aargh!!!
    Thanks so much for joining us at CASology!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your NBUS leaves, Kims! Great choice and great cards to showcase them!!

    Congrats to the boys for doing so well! How fun to have them marching together this year!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  17. both cards are absolutely gorgeous Kim. I love that leaf and die set and seriously need one in my stash.

    Thanks for joining us at Seize the Sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks like you picked the right leaf set. It's an HM winner at CASology. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous cards both - and congrats on being an HM winner over at CASology! Another applause to your sons for their accomplishments! What amazing competitions these must be; I'd love to be in the audience, because the electricity must just spark! Thanks for sharing all kinds of 'fall delights' today!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning cards - I couldn't pick a favorite if I tried - love the sequins! Thanks for joining us at Seize the Sketch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both cards are so beautiful! Just love them!
    Enjoy these high school years with your boys, cos they FLY past and then they go off to college!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm not surprised to be back to congratulate you, Kims, on the HM shoutout from CASology!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love fall too! I also love the card you made for CASology it gorgeous! Both are beautiful but the CAS one is so pretty hanging like that.
    Congrats on your shout out.
    Ditto what Mackie said about HS enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Both cards are great, but the one with the striped leaf - genius!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just adore both of these cards! I loved marching band. What fun they will have!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!