Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Building a Cake in Red & Aqua

I just spent a couple of days ALL by myself with a good book, a fireplace, and a good bottle of wine!!!  We have a small place in Frisco, Colorado which is right in the middle of all of the ski areas in Summit County.  It's a great family area - skiing all winter, hiking all summer, plus tons of restaurants, festivals, etc.  Typically, we all go and spend family time. After active days, we spend our evenings with old-fashioned card games, puzzles and books.  But this time, I got to run away by myself (that probably means I was getting a little cranky and demanding at home because the boys happily sent me away!)

So I had to share a couple of pictures that I took April 25th!!!  I LOVE this weather!!




For all of you are shivering now (and even those that aren't) - now you need to go visit JENerally Speaking.  Not only does Jen make beautiful cards, but she regularly shares pictures of her home in Bermuda - - very different pictures than I just shared!
---------------------------

I only got one card made today.  The boys happily sent me away but it is funny that socks didn't get folded, jeans didn't get washed and homework wasn't finished - so I was a little busy today!

I had such fun with this Lawn Fawn Bake Me a Cake set.  Each layer is separate - you can build your cake any way you want - and there are tons of "frostings" and "decorations" to choose from too!!

I am rather proud of myself for thinking outside of the box - I started building my cake straight up and down - a perfect cake!!  Then I decided the card needed some interest so I started adding crooked layers.  This has definitely been out of my comfort zone!




I used today's Splitcoast Sketch Challenge.



And I used the color challenge from CR84FN.



  • Stamps: Lawn Fawn, sentiment from Stampin' Up Hodepodge Happiness
  • Ink: Memento Black, copics
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Poppy Parade, Papertrey Ink Hawaiian Shores
  • Accessories: Cuttlebug dots, Stampin' Up Scallop Border Punch, Papertrey Hawaiian Shores ribbon, The Twinery Baker's Twine, Quickutz tag die, Stickles and Martha Stewart glitter glue, misc red buttons

8 comments:

  1. What a fun card! I love how Lawn Fawn images just make you smile :) Great take on the challenges.

    Bless you for still being excited about snow...definitely not for me at the end of April.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim - what a super birthday cake - love the uneven layers and super sparkly icing! Thanks for playing along with CR84FN this week!


    PS - thanks for sharing your snowy photos - I think I'd enjoy a bit of cool at the moment. When does it stop snowing there? It's so hot and humid here in Mumbai!! But enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun card Kim! Love the shimmery frosting! Thanks so much for playing along with CR84FN :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim this is fantastic! I was imagining you fighting the urge to straighten those cakes ... but good on you for sticking with them ... even though you had some straight ones ready to go! Love all the little details! Hugs xxaxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your card, Kim! The crooked layers and shimmer are wonderful! Thanks so much for joining us at CR84FN!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the shout out, Kim! Those pictures are amazing - can't believe all that snow! The first picture is especially stunning.
    Your crooked cake card is fabulous - such a cool and quirky idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a sassy Birthday cake
    Beautiful snow scene but think I'd rather have the sun shine I have her today I'll send you some to melt your snow !! he he
    Hugs Susie Sugar xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the quirky cake with all its sparkly details. Great photos too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!