Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My "Duh" Moment

Set 280 - Together Forever

This post started out with the title "Two Easy Techniques" and I do still have two techniques, but one of those was such a "duh" moment for me - I couldn't believe what I had been missing.  First... the card...


This card uses the colors from today's SplitCoast Color Challenge: Basic Gray, Concord Crush and Marina Mist.  It also uses the layout from this week's Stamping 411 Sketch Challenge.

When I saw the sketch challenge, I knew that I wanted to try a technique that I had bookmarked some time ago.  It was actually the reason that I ended up buying the Decorative Label punch from Stampin' Up (that's the smaller punch with the image on it).  I loved the punch, but punches don't have mats.  I tend to prefer Spellbinders Nestabilities because then I can easily layer up.  Gretchen Barron did this post on lining up three of the decorative label punches to get the large mat.  It works beautifully.  (She also did this post on how to easily cut up the punch to make a regular mat for the punch.)  Her blog is Inspiration in Action and it IS just full of Inspiration.

But...now for my "duh" moment.

For most of this year, I have been seeing people color their gems with Copics so that they match the card.  For completely unknown reasons, I had never done it.  So I decided to color my rhinestones today.  My card includes a "Concord Crush" gem and four "Marina Mist" gems.  So...so...simple...


I just sat back and laughed at myself.  Why?

Here is my gem box...overflowing...impossible to find the rhinestone that I want...and...I keep buying more...


Here is my Copic collection...neatly organized...colors that match every SU CS and PTI CS...


I don't need that box of rhinestones!!!!  One package of clear rhinestones and I am ready for anything, because I have that huge collection of Copics.

"Duh!"
  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Together Forever
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Basic Gray
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Concord Crush, Marina Mist CS, Basic Gray dp
  • Accessories: Stampin' Up Decorative Label Punch, rhinestones, Basic Gray and Marina Mist taffeta, Copics: BV08, B52, Nestabilities Oval die



8 comments:

  1. Beautiful card! I love the layered punches and ribbon!! Thanks for playing along with the Stamping 411.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful card Kim! Apparently you can color rhinestones with alcohol inks as well. Must try this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the layers on your focal image! Great colors, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card, and thanks for the coloring tip...I'll have to try that too! Funny, I've seen the colored rhinestones around and thought they were non-SU!, now I'm guessing they're just colored SU! rhinestones!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! So many great tips and tricks you shared, too. Oh my goodness, I have never tried to color the jewels with Copics, how cool is that?? I laughed out loud because I have that same box of bling, too funny. :) Thanks for the inspiration today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty and what an awesome tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute! I've never played with copics... feel like I'm missing out! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!